Monday, May 7, 2007

Day 27 - 5/7/07

This week's theme is Toys.

This is my Cabbage Patch Kid. Not very exciting, but in a way it is. When I was a kid and CPKs were all the rage, I had one that looked almost exactly like this one. The only difference was the eyes - my childhood doll had green eyes. Her name was Emmalynn Christy. During a family move while in high school, all of my childhood toys were lost - including my CPK (which by that time was no longer played with but still displayed). While I was in college, CPK made a comeback. My roommates and I were in a store shortly before Christmas when I spotted this doll. Not only does she look almost identical to my childhood doll, but her name is Emma Lyn. I couldn't afford to buy her myself, but my roommates bought her for me for Christmas.

Right now I keep her sitting on a shelf. I feel a little selfish sometimes, but I don't let anyone play with her. Even after almost 9 years, she still has that "new CPK" smell, because she has never been played with. I have so few things that I have saved for my future children, and I decided long ago that this doll would be one of them. Fairly soon I will have to hide her away, because my niece is getting older and often asks to play with her now. I feel badly having to tell her that she can't play with this doll, but there are so many other toys in our house that she IS allowed to play with that she doesn't need this one, too.

2 comments:

Jess said...

What a great story to go along with this photo! I really enjoyed reading it! Nice shot too, of your CBK. I had one with short blonde hair and her name was Francine Clementine! My sister's was DeeAnna Leona--she looked very similar to yours, but with blonde hair.

Holly said...

Neat story. Thanks for sharing. I dont blame you for not letting anyone play with her.